Children's Hyperinsulinism Charity

Courage Hope Inspiration

Post 16 Options

You can legally leave school at the end of the school year in which you turn 16 (usually end of Year 11).  Then you need to decide whether to continue in education or training until the age of 18. You can also add to this paid or voluntary work.

You do not need to be in a setting, home tuition or other individualised packages can be agreed, and you can work towards gaining skills rather than a formal qualification.

Continuing at School

You could continue your studies in sixth form. Benefits may be that the familiarity and friendship you have built with the setting and your peer group can remain in place. Choices may be to pursue academic or vocational qualifications, ranging from entry level to GCSEs, BTECs and A levels.

Going to College

It’s worth considering the different courses and options that colleges can offer such as:

  • Academic courses (A Levels, T levels, GCSE’s).
  • Vocational courses (such as BTECS).
  • “Stepping stone” courses in Maths and English.
  • Courses which combine study with on- the- job training or work experience.
  • “Life skills” courses to help young people prepare for adult life, work and participating in the community.


This option allows you to study alongside paid on the job training. Qualifications can range from GCSE level to degree or diploma level.

Find out more including information on apprenticeships in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland:

Work or volunteer for 20 hours or more a week whilst in part-time education or training

You can go to work, undertake voluntary work, become an intern, or even set up your own business when you leave school. However, you’ll still need to be doing part-time training or study at the same time that leads to:

Regulated Qualifications / Vocational Technical Qualifications (VTQs)

VTQs are practical qualifications designed to give you the skills and experience you need for a certain job. To find out more:

Financial Support

The 16 -19 Bursary Fund can help with education costs (UK only):  The Education Maintenance Allowance EMA is available in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland

Subsidised Transport (England and Wales only):


SEN Support in continuing Education:

What support is available at college?

Mainstream further education (FE) colleges support students with special educational needs in a similar way to schools.

Students with SEN who do not need EHC plans receive help through SEN support – find out more:

This includes following the special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0-25 years:

There should be a named person in overall charge of SEN provision and the college must ensure students with SEN know who they can go to for help.

A SEN support plan should detail the extra help you require, and you should be involved in planning your support and monitoring your progress. This should be reviewed at least three times a year.

It is worth noting that under the Equality Act 2010, colleges must do everything they reasonably can to remove all barriers to learning for disabled students.

Support might include:

  • Accessible information, like symbol-based materials.
  • Assistive technology, specialist tuition or note-takers.
  • One-to-one and small group learning support.
  • Access to therapies.
  • Housing/independent living training.

Specialist Further Education College

These are for young people with SEN. You can ask the Local Authority to name a specialist college in your EHC plan but be prepared they may refuse on the grounds of cost and you may have to prove there are no alternative cheaper education options available to you.

Supported Internships:

Internships Work is a new project which will enable 4500 young adults, aged 16-25 with additional needs, to benefit from a supported internship per year by 2025.

Find out more:


Combines study towards qualifications with paid-on-the-job training. Apprenticeships are open to young people over 16 with or without EHC plans. They can lead to qualifications from GCSE level up to degree or diploma level.

Apprenticeship providers receive funding for all young people, and the amount is more for a young person with an EHC plan.

The Children’s Hyperinsulinism Charity recommends that you also consider finding out more about careers advice, capacity, money and benefits. This great guide from Cerebra Charity covers these areas with links to other Charities and organisations for further support: